Friday, June 18, 2010
We’re going for a 2-day + 1-night trip to Anamizu Bay! Both KIT-IJST and Kapiolani kids went there in 2 buses. First, we visited Ishikawa Ecohouse that was newly finished this April. The eco-technologies were incredible; small wind-power generator, solar panels, hot and cool tubes, airtight insulation walls, so on. It was created for a 3-generation family, and highly depends on natural energy. I was impressed that it even has special plants that can absorb CO2 and CO 2-3 times higher than normal ones. Everything was built with eco-purpose in mind, and the house consumed about ¥10,000,000 (US$0.1 million!). I wonder if anyone will actually spend that amount for this kind of house… 

On the way to Anamizu, we went to Nanao Fisherman’s Wharf for lunch. Many fun stuff, but since it’s a tourist spot, they’re so expensive! Diya and I wandered around the stalls trying free samples, took pictures of teruterubozu (weather dolls) made by school kids, and bought a strawberry cheesecake ice-cream at Gelato shop. It’s so good! I should try green tea flavor next time, I heard it’s awesome. When our bus reached a place called Chirihama, it made a sudden turn to beach area. We’re on beach sand! The sand was very dense that it’s possible for heavy vehicles to move on it. Sugoi!
It’s a light rain, so we’re still able to go to Anamizu by KIT cruise boat. Yes! It was about 40min journey through the sea. I enjoyed the sea breeze and waves splashing against the boat. At last, we arrived at the resort bay. But we had to walk up a steep hill to reach our hostel. I got into same room as Diya, Sarah Sugarman, 3 Hawaiian students (Marikriz, Sher, Aida). Since KIT Japanese students would only arrive at 7pm, we got some free time to play sports at gym or hang out in hostel room. I played badminton, others played volleyball, basketball, ping pong. Also, Sam and Rachel did some capoeira performances. 

At 7pm, barbeque started! Many seafood and veggies available, so I didn’t worry about meats at all. Shingo, one of JPN exchange student in RIT early this year, is from Kanazawa and he joined this trip too. Good to meet him again, he still remembers me. He put himself as the griller for “no-meat section – seafood & veggie only”, and he was good! I got myself so much stuff, and I could barely socialize w/ JPN students while eating. I talked to some friendly JPN, showing interests in Malaysia and Islam regarding diet restriction and scarf wearing. They also taught me some new JPN vocabs, thanks guys! After dinner, it’s time for bath (おふろ)! For those who don’t know this, taking bath in Japan means getting naked with others in the same room and going into a bath pool together. I won’t tell anything more than that here. I didn’t hang out w/ others for games or anything for the rest of the night, I just slept right away. But they’re being so noisy out there…..
Saturday, June 19, 2010
I was woken up by “Let the River Flow” piano melody, followed by announcement “Ohayoo gozaimasu (2x)” few times. Is this how JPN schools wake students up at an overnight trip? We had an early morning gathering in the gym. JPN kids sang their national anthem, and then, we got a little aerobics session. Haha, so cute!~ After a pleasant breakfast, John Ertl held a Culture lecture for both American/Hawaiian and JPN students, in English! Now it’s time for JPN kids to get baffled over foreign language…hehe. Based on a question “Where do Japanese come from?”, we made a comparison of Japanese and American family trees. Myth stories of Izanagi and Izanami (gods who created JPN) were quite amusing actually, w/ the Land of the Dead, monsters, and everything…something like a zombie land, I suppose. During 1hr free time, I presented myself to personal ‘dreamland’, no mood for sports or gossips. For lunch, finally I got to taste original Japanese curry! It’s made of veggie stock, specially made for me and Diya. Awwhh, thanks sensei and OIP staff! They’re very considerate and caring ~(>__<)~ Around noon, we left Anamizu to visit Ketataisha shrine on the way back. The shrine was 400-yr old, very Japanese-looking w/ some delicate wood carvings. Ketataisha is famous for housing the God of Love, so I bought a love fortune for ¥200, and Hideyoshi-san helped to translate it. Very interesting, indeed. Diya got the highest level of fortune, ceyh. Hideki-san told me he’s been in Malaysia before, at Langkawi, J.Bahru, some others. He could pronounce ‘nasi goreng’ pretty well! The Anamizu trip was overall very fun and exciting. Oh, now I have to make a report on Ecohouse…
Sunday, June 20, 2010
It’s Sunday! Despite of joining other girls to a shopping trip to an anime place at Kanazawa downtown, I stayed home to finish my laundry and homework, cook, and lay around. It’s a beautiful Sunday…
We’re going for a 2-day + 1-night trip to Anamizu Bay! Both KIT-IJST and Kapiolani kids went there in 2 buses. First, we visited Ishikawa Ecohouse that was newly finished this April. The eco-technologies were incredible; small wind-power generator, solar panels, hot and cool tubes, airtight insulation walls, so on. It was created for a 3-generation family, and highly depends on natural energy. I was impressed that it even has special plants that can absorb CO2 and CO 2-3 times higher than normal ones. Everything was built with eco-purpose in mind, and the house consumed about ¥10,000,000 (US$0.1 million!). I wonder if anyone will actually spend that amount for this kind of house…
On the way to Anamizu, we went to Nanao Fisherman’s Wharf for lunch. Many fun stuff, but since it’s a tourist spot, they’re so expensive! Diya and I wandered around the stalls trying free samples, took pictures of teruterubozu (weather dolls) made by school kids, and bought a strawberry cheesecake ice-cream at Gelato shop. It’s so good! I should try green tea flavor next time, I heard it’s awesome. When our bus reached a place called Chirihama, it made a sudden turn to beach area. We’re on beach sand! The sand was very dense that it’s possible for heavy vehicles to move on it. Sugoi!
It’s a light rain, so we’re still able to go to Anamizu by KIT cruise boat. Yes! It was about 40min journey through the sea. I enjoyed the sea breeze and waves splashing against the boat. At last, we arrived at the resort bay. But we had to walk up a steep hill to reach our hostel. I got into same room as Diya, Sarah Sugarman, 3 Hawaiian students (Marikriz, Sher, Aida). Since KIT Japanese students would only arrive at 7pm, we got some free time to play sports at gym or hang out in hostel room. I played badminton, others played volleyball, basketball, ping pong. Also, Sam and Rachel did some capoeira performances.
At 7pm, barbeque started! Many seafood and veggies available, so I didn’t worry about meats at all. Shingo, one of JPN exchange student in RIT early this year, is from Kanazawa and he joined this trip too. Good to meet him again, he still remembers me. He put himself as the griller for “no-meat section – seafood & veggie only”, and he was good! I got myself so much stuff, and I could barely socialize w/ JPN students while eating. I talked to some friendly JPN, showing interests in Malaysia and Islam regarding diet restriction and scarf wearing. They also taught me some new JPN vocabs, thanks guys! After dinner, it’s time for bath (おふろ)! For those who don’t know this, taking bath in Japan means getting naked with others in the same room and going into a bath pool together. I won’t tell anything more than that here. I didn’t hang out w/ others for games or anything for the rest of the night, I just slept right away. But they’re being so noisy out there…..
Saturday, June 19, 2010
I was woken up by “Let the River Flow” piano melody, followed by announcement “Ohayoo gozaimasu (2x)” few times. Is this how JPN schools wake students up at an overnight trip? We had an early morning gathering in the gym. JPN kids sang their national anthem, and then, we got a little aerobics session. Haha, so cute!~ After a pleasant breakfast, John Ertl held a Culture lecture for both American/Hawaiian and JPN students, in English! Now it’s time for JPN kids to get baffled over foreign language…hehe. Based on a question “Where do Japanese come from?”, we made a comparison of Japanese and American family trees. Myth stories of Izanagi and Izanami (gods who created JPN) were quite amusing actually, w/ the Land of the Dead, monsters, and everything…something like a zombie land, I suppose. During 1hr free time, I presented myself to personal ‘dreamland’, no mood for sports or gossips. For lunch, finally I got to taste original Japanese curry! It’s made of veggie stock, specially made for me and Diya. Awwhh, thanks sensei and OIP staff! They’re very considerate and caring ~(>__<)~ Around noon, we left Anamizu to visit Ketataisha shrine on the way back. The shrine was 400-yr old, very Japanese-looking w/ some delicate wood carvings. Ketataisha is famous for housing the God of Love, so I bought a love fortune for ¥200, and Hideyoshi-san helped to translate it. Very interesting, indeed. Diya got the highest level of fortune, ceyh. Hideki-san told me he’s been in Malaysia before, at Langkawi, J.Bahru, some others. He could pronounce ‘nasi goreng’ pretty well! The Anamizu trip was overall very fun and exciting. Oh, now I have to make a report on Ecohouse…
It’s Sunday! Despite of joining other girls to a shopping trip to an anime place at Kanazawa downtown, I stayed home to finish my laundry and homework, cook, and lay around. It’s a beautiful Sunday…

1:03 PM |
Category: |
0
cookies for me!

Comments (0)