Thursday, June 10, 2010
First day of official orientation of KIT-IJST program! All 27 of us (RIT, RHIT, UIUC, Hawaii) gathered in lounge to meet all sensei and OIP staff. Fudano-sensei: Program Director; Fujii-sensei, Suda-sensei, Sakuma-sensei, Ono-sensei, Murata-sensei – all of them studied in USA. It was a brief 1-hr meeting, enough to make me nervous+excited. The rest of the day? Free day again! We walked to a very cheap manga shop called Bookoff – you can get a popular manga at ¥105 (= US$1.50). Next, ¥100 (Hyakuen) shop. Everything’s only ¥105! These shops are very cool, but it takes 20min walk. It’s pretty far, but when you get used to it, no problem!
Friday, June 11, 2010
2nd day of orientation. We had a formal event where KIT president gave a speech, followed by short notes from other KIT committees. At 1pm, we had a placement test! I was so nervous since I didn’t finish studying all materials. The written test was easy, except some parts. But the oral test was unexpected! We’re asked to create a 20-30 secs story based on a strip cartoon. How do you call a doghouse in JPN? I used 犬の家 (literally means ‘a dog’s house’). Sensei might find that funny…
At 6pm, SGE (Student Global Exchange) threw a Welcome Party for KIT-IJST and Hawaii-Kapiolani programs. So many food! I love takoyaki and mashed edamame! Plus, we met Japanese kids, both outgoing/friendly and shy/smiling-all-along types. Well, my JPN still wasn’t good, so it’s like a conversation btwn chicken & duck. Anyway, it was fun. We headed to a game arcade later on. I played a car racing game, I flunked all tries. Ughhh….

Saturday, June 12, 2010
The result of placement test was out! I was put into Hoshigumi (星組), the advanced class (o__O). We had consultation session with sensei to see whether we fit for the class (actually, it’s like a welcome session into the class – no consultation at all). Fujii-sensei will be my class teacher. Diya got into Intermediate – Tsukigumi (月組). The other class was Hanagumi (花組). I feel the pressure, but I really hope the class will help improving my JPN.
Also, we received laptop from KIT. This is important since we cannot use personal laptop to surf internet in many places in KIT. They only recognize IP address from KIT’s laptop, and no wireless access – we need an Ethernet cable. I felt I’ve been spoiled too much being in the USA. I didn’t get to call my family through Skype or Voipstunt yet. So frustrating! Luckily there’s an international phone outside Nishikawa Height which accepts only ¥100 coins, at least I’m still able to make calls.
Later, all KIT-IJST kids went out together to Nonoichi town by Notty (のっティ) bus. The bus was so small and cute! There’re 4 Notty bus routes, we used the red one to reach Stop 13. The bus was overpacked w/ us and other Japanese, it made weird noises during turns or bumps. Poor bus… We went to Shopping Plaza nearby Town Hall, the most interesting place was electronics store. So many cute, practical devices in Japan, ex: flower-shaped waffle-maker, dog-shaped vacuum cleaner, etc. At cellphone section, I saw Arashi posters promoting AU by KDDI phones! I saw other idols and actors as well, if only Tohoshinki is still active…I’m sure there’ll be my 5 beloved oppas here and there… T___T



We also went to a flea market. Brian and Derek each got a mahjong set, apparently they know to play it very well. Others bought beautiful crafted cups, traditional stuff. I found many interesting things, but I didn’t buy any. On the way back, I dropped by at BookOff again to buy a Rilakkuma teddy bear for ¥500. I named it… Pokky! I guess I miss my Shinbi a.k.a. Baeby too much…I got you a new friend! Oh, we also met a few Indonesian guys at the bookstore. It’s weird to meet familiar faces in Japan. Oh well...
Sunday, June 13, 2010
SGE arranged a field trip to Kenrokuen Garden – one of the three most famous gardens of Japan – and Ishikawa-mon Gate. The traditional landscapes and castle are very impressive; I couldn’t describe it properly here. I really love the rich greenery. That day was very warm, so was my heart while witnessing the beautiful God’s creation. If only it was spring…then hanami (花見) of sakura blossoms will be so great! Nevertheless, summer view was still very much breathtaking. But my camera went weak soon before we finished touring the garden, so I didn’t get much pictures at the castle later.




SGE students led us to wrong direction, and we got lost for a while. Then we managed to reach Fish Market, something like Pasar Siti Khadijah, but far cleaner. For lunch, I bought large squid and scallops on sticks for only ¥350! So yummy! I’d certainly buy that again. FYI, Kanazawa is the main city in Ishikawa prefecture, very near to Sea of Japan. That’s why seafood and fish are very fresh and awesome-tasting here.
I got an awesome news from home! My sister has given birth to a beautiful daughter. Congratz to Kaknaz and Abg Jay! Now I got a pair of babies – a nephew and a niece. Khairien Zufairy must be happy to get a sister so soon, he’s only turning 2 this August. I’ve been wanting to buy cute frilly dresses for baby girls…just wait I get my hands on Khairieyna Zuhairah next year (^___^)
First day of official orientation of KIT-IJST program! All 27 of us (RIT, RHIT, UIUC, Hawaii) gathered in lounge to meet all sensei and OIP staff. Fudano-sensei: Program Director; Fujii-sensei, Suda-sensei, Sakuma-sensei, Ono-sensei, Murata-sensei – all of them studied in USA. It was a brief 1-hr meeting, enough to make me nervous+excited. The rest of the day? Free day again! We walked to a very cheap manga shop called Bookoff – you can get a popular manga at ¥105 (= US$1.50). Next, ¥100 (Hyakuen) shop. Everything’s only ¥105! These shops are very cool, but it takes 20min walk. It’s pretty far, but when you get used to it, no problem!
Friday, June 11, 2010
2nd day of orientation. We had a formal event where KIT president gave a speech, followed by short notes from other KIT committees. At 1pm, we had a placement test! I was so nervous since I didn’t finish studying all materials. The written test was easy, except some parts. But the oral test was unexpected! We’re asked to create a 20-30 secs story based on a strip cartoon. How do you call a doghouse in JPN? I used 犬の家 (literally means ‘a dog’s house’). Sensei might find that funny…
At 6pm, SGE (Student Global Exchange) threw a Welcome Party for KIT-IJST and Hawaii-Kapiolani programs. So many food! I love takoyaki and mashed edamame! Plus, we met Japanese kids, both outgoing/friendly and shy/smiling-all-along types. Well, my JPN still wasn’t good, so it’s like a conversation btwn chicken & duck. Anyway, it was fun. We headed to a game arcade later on. I played a car racing game, I flunked all tries. Ughhh….
Saturday, June 12, 2010
The result of placement test was out! I was put into Hoshigumi (星組), the advanced class (o__O). We had consultation session with sensei to see whether we fit for the class (actually, it’s like a welcome session into the class – no consultation at all). Fujii-sensei will be my class teacher. Diya got into Intermediate – Tsukigumi (月組). The other class was Hanagumi (花組). I feel the pressure, but I really hope the class will help improving my JPN.
Also, we received laptop from KIT. This is important since we cannot use personal laptop to surf internet in many places in KIT. They only recognize IP address from KIT’s laptop, and no wireless access – we need an Ethernet cable. I felt I’ve been spoiled too much being in the USA. I didn’t get to call my family through Skype or Voipstunt yet. So frustrating! Luckily there’s an international phone outside Nishikawa Height which accepts only ¥100 coins, at least I’m still able to make calls.
Later, all KIT-IJST kids went out together to Nonoichi town by Notty (のっティ) bus. The bus was so small and cute! There’re 4 Notty bus routes, we used the red one to reach Stop 13. The bus was overpacked w/ us and other Japanese, it made weird noises during turns or bumps. Poor bus… We went to Shopping Plaza nearby Town Hall, the most interesting place was electronics store. So many cute, practical devices in Japan, ex: flower-shaped waffle-maker, dog-shaped vacuum cleaner, etc. At cellphone section, I saw Arashi posters promoting AU by KDDI phones! I saw other idols and actors as well, if only Tohoshinki is still active…I’m sure there’ll be my 5 beloved oppas here and there… T___T
We also went to a flea market. Brian and Derek each got a mahjong set, apparently they know to play it very well. Others bought beautiful crafted cups, traditional stuff. I found many interesting things, but I didn’t buy any. On the way back, I dropped by at BookOff again to buy a Rilakkuma teddy bear for ¥500. I named it… Pokky! I guess I miss my Shinbi a.k.a. Baeby too much…I got you a new friend! Oh, we also met a few Indonesian guys at the bookstore. It’s weird to meet familiar faces in Japan. Oh well...
Sunday, June 13, 2010
SGE arranged a field trip to Kenrokuen Garden – one of the three most famous gardens of Japan – and Ishikawa-mon Gate. The traditional landscapes and castle are very impressive; I couldn’t describe it properly here. I really love the rich greenery. That day was very warm, so was my heart while witnessing the beautiful God’s creation. If only it was spring…then hanami (花見) of sakura blossoms will be so great! Nevertheless, summer view was still very much breathtaking. But my camera went weak soon before we finished touring the garden, so I didn’t get much pictures at the castle later.
SGE students led us to wrong direction, and we got lost for a while. Then we managed to reach Fish Market, something like Pasar Siti Khadijah, but far cleaner. For lunch, I bought large squid and scallops on sticks for only ¥350! So yummy! I’d certainly buy that again. FYI, Kanazawa is the main city in Ishikawa prefecture, very near to Sea of Japan. That’s why seafood and fish are very fresh and awesome-tasting here.
I got an awesome news from home! My sister has given birth to a beautiful daughter. Congratz to Kaknaz and Abg Jay! Now I got a pair of babies – a nephew and a niece. Khairien Zufairy must be happy to get a sister so soon, he’s only turning 2 this August. I’ve been wanting to buy cute frilly dresses for baby girls…just wait I get my hands on Khairieyna Zuhairah next year (^___^)

12:52 AM |
Category: |
0
cookies for me!

Comments (0)